This week marks Women in Construction Week (March 1-7, 2020) hosted by the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC). The focus of the observance is to highlight women as a visible component of the construction industry and raise awareness of the opportunities available for women in the construction industry and to emphasize the growing role of women in the industry.
In recognition of Women in Construction Week, it’s our honor to introduce you to a few of the women making it happen at PWI Construction.
Women in Construction Spotlight: Meet Rachael Brown
Rachael has been in construction for more than 20 years. As Project Manager, she manages PWI Construction’s diverse portfolio of commercial construction projects across the nation. We sat down with Rachael to learn more about how she got into construction and her experience in the field.
- Many years have you been in construction? Tell us about your path. 20 years. I started in the office, worked my way through cost control and project accounting and into management. I feel grateful that I have had the opportunity to master so many aspects of construction and can see how they affect each other.
- What do you enjoy most about the construction field? I love that every day is different. I enjoy being out on the field and watching projects from start to finish. It’s an indescribable feeling to see a project come to life.
- What’s your favorite construction-career related memory? I have so many. Being a part of the Pearl concert venue project here in Las Vegas was very challenging, as was the historic Alexis Kimpton hospitality renovation project in Seattle. Both of these projects were logistically difficult and required new construction methods and required me to think outside of the box. Bringing these projects to a successful on-time completion with extremely fast-paced schedules was very rewarding.
- What advice do you have for other women interested in construction? Work hard and find a place where you are valued and respected regardless of gender…they are out there.
- Why is construction a great career field for women to pursue? I love the construction industry. It’s a great career path for women and men alike. I feel that women have an eye for details and in my experience, women in construction are incredible multi-taskers and can problem solve quickly and efficiently.
Follow PWI Construction on Facebook and LinkedIn to hear more from the women of PWI Construction during Women in Construction Week.